Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
No More One-Size Fits All Library Orientations!
You know best what Library resources your students need for your class!
Take a look at what our Library offers and create the orientation that best fits your students' needs.
- All offerings are student-centered! No lecture/presenations.
- All offerings can be customized to accommodate your time frame and curriculum needs.
- Need something you don't see? Just ask!
Teachers + Libraries = A Powerful Partnership
"Since 1992, a growing body of research known as the school library impact studies has consistently shown positive correlations between high-quality library programs and student achievement (Gretes, 2013; Scholastic, 2016). "
--Phi Delta Kappan, March 26, 2018
Literacy Promotion & Advocacy
The research is clear. Reading promotes academic readiness. Reading helps create empathy.
Using the Card Catalog
- Your students will learn (or be reminded) where and how to use the Card Catalog to search and locate print resources, aka BOOKS!
- Activity is 45-60 minutes in length.
Using the Card Catalog App
- Give your students 24/7 access to Library materials with the Library App!
- Personalized instruction on downloading the app, creating an account, and using it to search for books, place books on hold, and access BHS Library audiobooks and eBooks.
- 30 minutes in length
What Do All These Colors Mean?
- Introduces students to our color-coded Genrified Fiction section, as well as interactive Library displays, and other Library resources to help them browse and locate the perfect book.
- 15 minutes in length. If paired with class book checkout, please allow 35 minutes.
We Love the Public Library
- Make sure all your students have a public library card! We will help students complete the application (a great skill!) and coordinate card distribution with the public library.
- Introduces all students to the great public library online resources (databases, eBooks, audiobooks, music, movies, magazines, etc.), as well the programming they provide for our students.
- 20 minutes in length.
We'll Come to You!
- Pop-up Libraries to support your class library and/or reading projects. Let us know your most popular titles and/or needs, and we'll bring a cart of books to leave in your room for students to check out.
- Implement/assist with book speed-dating, book tastings, or other activities designed to encourage student reading.
Research & Information Literacy Instruction/Support
Never before has it been so critical for our students to be able to find, evaluate, and use information meaningfully & ethically!
The Library can support and provide instruction throughout the entire research process, including:
- Topic selection, narrowing a topic
- Developing Essential Research Questions/Preliminary Research
- Finding & Evaluating Sources
- Thesis statement development
- Citation Information
Sampling of Research & Information Literacy Lessons:
- Database Smackdown--60 minutes in length
- Database Digital Breakout--45 minutes in length
- Research Guides--Curated Resources and Research Instruction all in one place! 10-20 minutes in length.
Give your projects a boost! The Library MakerStudio provides instruction and support for:
- 3D Printing--make artifacts!
- Electronics & Circuits (including LED lights!)
- Video Production (360 Camera) & Green Screen
- Well-stocked craft room, including Silhouette Cameo, Bedazzler